Today was my third day since going back to the gym after a few months off. My third day went well and I want to share my workout.
Psst…If this is your first time at my blog please read this post first.
My current work out plan
- I intend to visit the gym 1 time each week doing a full body workout routine. This will every Thursday and may change depending on my schedule and my results.
- I have had good results using this workout in the past on the twice a week schedule. I want to test the results going just once a week. I have a pretty active full time job-in the past when using Fitbit to log steps I typically walk over 5 miles each work day.
- This is probably the opposite of most work out routines out there that advocate more frequent work out sessions. All I can say is that it has worked well for me in the past and I will let my results speak for themselves in a few weeks.
The current routine
Warm up with 20 minutes of cardio
- I prefer to use the treadmill and typically adjust the belt speed between 9.5 mph and 4mph for rest. I can run faster than this but do not have a lot endurance. Thanks cigarettes.
- For me this is a decent warm up and gets me into the mood of working out. I like to listen to music in the gym to help motivate me. The gym is not a place for me to socialize and I rarely even remove my ear buds.
Moving to the weights
- I like to focus on lifts that will use more than one singular muscle. I will use the same machines and position the whole time through the routine to reduce tracking errors. Its incredible the difference a seat position can make on the difficulty of an exercise.
- I use mainly machines as I am neither a huge or advanced level lifter. My goal is to avoid injury and make it back the next week.
- My lifting speed is pretty slow but not excessively slow. By my guess would be in the range of 3-4 seconds between full up and down position. Rest between sets is 60 seconds. Warm up included.
21 minutes on treadmill-2.30 miles
Military Press machine
- Warm up set 5 reps @40lbs
- Working weight- 1 set of 8 reps @65lbs
- Working weight- 1 set of 6 reps @65lb*
- *failed during rep 7
Lat pull down-wide grip
- Warm up set 5 reps @60lbs
- Working weight- 2 sets of 8 reps @90lbs
- Warm up set 8 reps @60lbs
- Working weight- 2 sets of 8 @90lbs
- Could not raise to 105
- Warm up set 6 reps @40lbs
- Working weight- 1 set of 8 @65lbs
- Working weight- 1 set of 5 @65lbs*
- *failed on rep 6
Leg press machine-more squat like option
- Warm up set 8 reps @70lbs
- Working weight- 2 sets of 8 reps @100lbs
- 3 mins to loosen leg muscles to prevent cramping.
Thoughts after workout
I am glad I decided to try raising the weights this visit, as I was able to raise the weight on almost every life except the row. The row was higher than my other weights to begin anyway. I was contemplating keeping the weights the same since I am feeling a little sick too.