Today I listened to day twenty five of Anthony Robbins Personal Power, a thirty day program to change your life. Today anthony shared how to handle problems in your life.
Personal Power Day Twenty Five
Anthony advises you learn to spend 80% of your time and effort on the solution to your problem and only 20% on the problem.
What makes little problems into huge ones is repeating again and again thinking about how bad the problem is and asking why does this happen to me. Instead of doing that to yourself you should focus on what you need to do to turn things around.
Ask effective questions to refocus your mind on the solution. Some questions he recommends are “Whats the fastest way I can turn this around?” And “What can I learn from this and have fun during the process?”
Another thing you can do is look for a role model who has handled a similar challenge in their lives.
He cautions you to not allow yourself to get into a state of overwhelm or depression. If you allow this to happen to you it will be much harder to deal with the problem. Learn to manage your state to avoid feeling depressed and overwhelmed.
Teach your brain that going into a state of overwhelm is much more painful than the actual problem you are facing. Teach your brain to associate massive pleasure to overcoming your problems.
How to manage problems in your life
- Manage your own state. Stay out of overwhelm and remind yourself of challenges that you have handled in the past.
- Define your problem clearly but remember to allocate more time thinking about the solution
- Come up with your best plan to handle the challenge as quick as possible and act upon it.
- Notice if your actions are bringing you closer to a solution
- If what you are trying isn’t working change your approach.
- Remember there are role models all around you if you need guidance
- Change your belief about what problems are. Problems are inevitable and actually cause you to grow by challenging you to improve and change.
Tony’s five problem solving questions
- Whats great about this?
- Whats not perfect yet?
- What am I willing to do to make it the way I want it?
- What am I willing to no longer do in order to have things the way I want them?
- How can I do whats necessary to get this job done and enjoy the process?